Empinadas

When we were in Chile Empinadas were everywhere!!! However all the ones me and Eddie had the opportunity to try were full of either onions, hard boiled egg, or had a weird olive still with the pit on the inside. The Crust was always the best part and I knew I could make fillings both me and Eddie would like . . . so when my brother was in town this week we decided to take on the challenge of making our own and it was well worth it!!


The Dough 
(recipe from epicurious.com)
Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 large egg
1/3 cup cold water
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar

Directions:
1) Mix Flour, Salt and Butter untill mixture is "sandy"
2) Add egg, water, and vinegar and mix untill it forms a ball
3) Refrigerate for at least 1 hour

The Fillings
I used 3 different meats for my fillings but you can use whatever you want
**Spicy Taco Ground Beef
**Chipotle Garlic Ground Turkey
**Cajun Chicken
NOTE: I also added a little cheese to the meat to keep it all together

Putting it all Together
1) Pre Heat Oven to 400 degrees
2) On a floured surface roll out dough so that it is pretty thin then cut into circles (with cookie cutter) or squares -- I got about 20
3) Add a spoonful of each filling into each piece then fold up and crimp the edges
4) Poke holes into the top of each empinada for steam
5) Place on a baking sheet sprayed with oil and cook for 20-25 minutes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Italian Holiday Cookie #5: Walnut Horns

Copy Cat - Wingers Rebel Sauce

Homemade Bread